As promised here is a crabapple butter recipe.
4 lbs of Garside's Fruit Farm Crabapples, stems and blossom ends removed, and quartered
1 cup of water
Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
2 cups of granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1. In a large saucepan, combine crabapples and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until crabapples are getting soft. (Approximately 20 to 30 minutes.)
2. Transfer crab apple mixture to a food mixer and puree, just until a uniform texture is achieved. Do not liquefy. Measure out 6 cups of crabapple puree.
3. In a large saucepan combine crabapple puree, orange zest and juice, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and ginger. Stir until all the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently until mixture thickens and holds its shape on a spoon.
4. Meanwhile prepare canner, jars and lids.
5. Ladle the hot butter sauce into hot jars, leaving a 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) of headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if necessary by adding hot butter. Wipe rim, and place lid on, and screw band down till resistance is me, then increase to fingertip tight.
6. Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil, and process for 10 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.
Our Crabapples are looking great this year! They will make a delicious batch of Crabapple Butter or anything you choose. They are available for $1.00 per pound, and we anticipate beginning to pick them in early to mid August. If you would like to order any of our products, please do not hesitate to contact us via email email@example.com or by phone at 604.556.4273 anytime. We look forward to hearing from you.